The Connections UnitingCare Christmas Food and Gift Appeal supplies food and gifts to families in need but relies on the goodwill of other members of the community...
2012 has been a tough year for many families - with emotional, financial and job security pressures putting enormous stress on people already struggling. Can you make this Christmas happier for someone in need?
- Are you able to spare a few spare tins of tomatoes and a packet of pasta from your weekly shop to help a family of four enjoy a filling meal?
- Are you able to purchase one extra gift when you do your Christmas shopping to make another child smile this Christmas?
In 2012 the Connections Christmas Food & Gift Appeal supplied 5,110 gifts and 503 hampers to clients in need.
Below is the story of one family who was assisted by the Appeal in 2012, told by her caseworker.
I had been working with this client for almost a year. She was a single mother with two daughters, one of who had been living in a monitored share house. Her other daughter and her lived in a rental property and struggled financially, getting by week to week. My client was considered unfit for work due to severe anxiety and depression, as well as other medical conditions which left her isolated. My client continued to tell me that despite helping her through her anxiety and linking her in with a couple of supports, putting the smile on her daughter's face at Christmas time was one of the best gifts and a highlight of her year. Amy, Family Services Worker
How can I support Connections Christmas Appeal?
- Purchase some extra non-perishable food the next time you are at the supermarket.
- Purchase an extra toy when you are doing your Christmas shopping.
- Download an Information Pack and find out some creative ways that you and your colleagues, friends and family can support Connections this Christmas.
- Make a tax deductible donation in support of the Christmas Food & Gift Appeal by free calling 1800 137 036 or clicking here.
To read an article in the Weekend Notes about how you can support this Appeal, click here.
The Connections Christmas Food and Gift Appeal works in conjunction with Operation Santa, the UnitingCare Christmas Appeal. UnitingCare and Target have partnered for 21 years on this appeal, in order to brighten Christmas for many disadvantaged people across Australia. By providing an opportunity for the public to donate a gift to someone less fortunate - underneath the big red trees in Target stores -Operation Santa offers a ray of hope for someone in need.
In 2011 a total of 81,463 gifts and $149,590 in gift cards were generously donated in Target stores.
You can donate your toys to Targets Camberwell, Dandenong, Fountain Gate, Ringwood or Waverley Gardens and directly support Connections Christmas Food & Gift Appeal.
Donations can also be made at various locations across the south east of Melbourne. To find a drop off point closest to you, click here.
The True Meaning of Christmas
For Julianne and Rick, Christmas 2010 was marked with extreme grief as they suffered the devastating loss of their young daughter, Chanel, in a tragic drowning accident. To create new memories for their family, Julianne and Rick decided they wanted to do something in memory of their daughter and to give back to their local community. To read their story, click here.